I have a bad case of the Winter Mehs, so I haven't really been feeling like posting lately, but I've just been tagged by my friend and occasional co-conspirator Kat Laurange
to do a Next Big Thing blog post. And really, who am I to resist an invite like that?
So, although I imagine it comes as little or no surprise to those of you who follow my blog, here's a mini-interview-meme-thing about my next big writing project.
1) What is the working title of your current/next book?
The Hellion Prince
2) Where did the idea come from?
Wondering what Harry Potter would look like told from the perspective of Draco Malfoy. It's gone far afield since then, but that was the starting point.
3) What genre does your book fall under?
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
I always pictured Damarhis as Alex Band circa 2002, so I’m afraid I don’t have a better image of who could play him now. Hayden Panettiere or Amanda Seyfried for Chrysinthe. Jason Isaacs for Damalien. Corbin Bleu for Belasen. Tyler Posey or possibly Logan Lerman as Sabric. Someone with bulky shoulders? Imadria would be almost impossible to cast, but her father Imaric would be Johnny Depp, no questions asked. The Lord Regent could easily be played by Michael Gambon or Malcolm McDowell -- someone who can project great chill and also great anger. The Fool’s voice should be Mark Hamill, Liv Tyler would be perfect for Yvanna the Silent, and the Unfallen King himself... Billy Connolly.
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Damarhis was prepared to be a traitor and a spy, but he didn’t expect to make friends by doing it.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I’d like it to be repped by an agency, but first I have to finish it and find an agent!
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft?
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Lies of Locke Lamora, The Briar King, Kushiel’s Scion. But really if it was too much like anything else I wouldn’t have written it.
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Too many people to list, really. But most briefly -- my wife Megan and my friends and former loves Erin Guthrie and Sarah Whittaker.
10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
Faeries, spies, dark magic, arranged marriage, swordfights, robberies, sexual tension both resolved and un (mostly un), murder kidnapping treachery the undead politics dances masks horses fancy clothing and tasty food. if that doesn’t do it, I’m all out.
I don't tend to like tagging people to get them to do memes, but if you're writing something, I'd like to know about it -- so consider yourself tagged and let me know when your post goes up!